It is very easy to setup a development environment for Android. All you need is computer and Internet connection. Below steps will be helpful if you want to use your existing IDE for Android development.
- As we know, Eclipse is the best and evergreen tool for JAVA developer. I personally suggest Eclipse for Android development. Download and install Eclipse.
- Now, its time to download the Android Development Tools (ADT) plugin for eclipse. ADT is a powerful integrated environment provided by the Android. By using this plugin you can expand the capabilities of Eclipse to let you quickly set up a new Android project, debug app, build an app User Interface and export signed or unsigned app packages generally called APK file for distribution. Below are the steps for setting up the ADT.
- Start Eclipse, then select Help > Install New Software.
- Click on Add button, at the top-right corner.
- There is a Add Repository dialog that appears, enter "ADT Plugin" or any other name for the Name and the below URL as Location. Click ok.
- Some user run into trouble while downloading the ADT, if this is the case with you then try using "http" in the Location URL, instead of using "https".
- In the Available Software dialog, select the checkbox next to Developer Tools and click Next.
- In the next window, you'll see a list of the tools to be downloaded. Click Next.
- Read and accept the license agreements, then click Finish. If you get a security warning saying that the authenticity or validity of the software can't be established, click OK.
- On completion of ADT plugin installation, you need to restart the Eclipse.
- Now its time to configure the ADT Plugin. You have to specify the Android SDK directory location once Eclipse restart.
- In the "Welcome to Android Development" window that appears, select Use existing SDKs.
- Browse and select the location of the Android SDK directory you recently downloaded and unpacked.
- Click on Next.
In my next post I will show you the much more easy way for setting up the Android development environment.